Monday, March 11, 2013

Fuel Tanks Post #4

The fourth post to include work on the tanks with many to follow I'm sure.

Friday Night
I had a small can of proseal left over from a while ago so I just mixed the remaining amounts of the two parts into the larger can. I then smeared the proseal onto the stiffening angles like peanut butter covering everything. Then clecoed them in place. I'm following the method posted here...
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=7602

Saturday
After working on several other parts of the fuel tanks; deburring, dimpling, etc. It was time to rivet the stiffening angles into place. I used popsicle sticks to measure my mixture of proseal. It's a 10 to 1 ratio so 10 scoops of the white stuff to 1 scoop of the black to make a beautifully smelly gray paste that we call Proseal. Then I scooped the mixture off the paper plate into a ziploc, squeezed it all to one end, snipped off the tip and had myself a nice Proseal applicator. A pastry chef would be proud. Clean out the rivet hole with a drill then add dollup of Proseal and slide the rivet in. Fill all the holes in each stiffener. Lay the set up down on a back rivet plate and finish the job. Clean up and move on to the next set of stiffeners. Then add a filet to the edges and another dollop on the shop head of the rivet and your done. No big deal....but it takes three times as long as you would think.

Sunday
Same as Saturday with the addition of making plugs for the ribs tooling holes. When the ribs are made there are holes about 3/16" in size in each of them from the hydroforming process they go through to be made. I have found through experience that usually when there are holes in something they tend to leak : ). So I made a patch from some thin aluminum to be held in by Proseal and two small rivets just to make sure they will never come off.

Date                Time
Friday 8th       2.5hrs    
Saturday 9th   4.25hrs  
Sunday 10th   4.25hrs

11hrs on Fuel Tanks = 25.25hrs Total







No comments:

Post a Comment