Friday, March 21, 2014

Landing Gear Work and Engine Mount

As I previously posted I am using the MATCO wheels and brakes instead of the stock set up. They will perform better in almost every fashion a wheel and brake can over the stock ones. So far the install has been good. At first I found the order of how all the parts are supposed to go together a little confusing. The instructions leave a lot to be desired. After I figured out that puzzle things started sliding together very easily....until the cotter pin. There is a large cotter pin that slides through the main wheel axle nut. This nut is about 1.75" wide and there are a series of holes on the top that you make line up with some holes in the axle. To make it worse the wheel blocks access to the hole so the pin has to be slightly bent and forced into the hole. It was late on a Sunday night and I was tired...a queue that I should have just stopped and went inside. But nooo... I wanted to get this last part finished. Long story short I left the shop frustrated because this stupid pin wouldn't go in....but I came back prepared...see pics below.

Oh yeah...and Kris stopped by to help me with the engine mount. Frustrating installation trying to get everything lined but it came out ok. Note for future builders: do NOT follow Van's instructions instead start drilling the center holes first and then move to the outer ones. Remember that as long as the pilot hole is fully encompassed in the larger hole you're good to drill.

Dates and Times
Mon 10 -1.0hr- tried to figure out brake install
Wed 12 -3.0hrs- alodined parts for landing gear, Kris over to help install engine mount. 
Sat 15 -4.75hrs- proto handle (more to come on this) and wheels and brakes. 
Sun 16 -3.75hrs- main landing gear work
Wed 19 -1.25hrs- landing gear work

Working on main landing gear

Starting assembling the nose gear. I need to get a force scale to finish this part up.

This is what I came back to the shop with....a MASSIVE wrench...this baby is 18" long and can turn nuts up to 2" wide....haha take that axle nut. The job was easy after I had this.

Main landing gear waiting for a couple last steps and then ready for install!

Engine mount bolted in place.


They get so much easier as they get older. She had a lot of fun hanging out with Daddy in the shop. Walking around and playing on her blanket. In this picture she is playing with sandpaper rolls...lot's of fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment