Monday, May 20, 2013

Finished Ailerons

A productive weekend leaves me feeling good again.
- Finished the ailerons
- Ran Conduit in the wings
- Finshed the Flap Gap Fairings
- Hung the wing skins in place
- Started the Flaps section

It felt good to finish up another section of the plans and to do it so quickly when compared to the tanks. The Flap Fairings have been patiently waiting to be completed for a while and I crossed those off the to-do list. Conduit needed to be ran and I finished that as well. I cut the little tabs off the 22(?) flap ribs, sanded and deburred them as well, while grilling outside. I hung the skins in place, placed the ribs back on the shelf, then cleaned the shop and put my tools away to be prepped and ready to start the next section after Memorial Day weekend.

Friday May 17 - 1.25hrs - Riveting Ailerons
Saturday May 18 - 4.25hrs
             2.0hrs - Riveting Ailerons, proseal trailing edges
             2.25hrs - Run Conduit
Sunday May 19 - 3.25hrs
             1.75hrs - Finished Ailerons
             0.75hrs - Finished Flap Gap Fairings
             0.75hrs - Cut Flap Ribs

Finished Ailerons Total Time = 25.5hrs

I was able to use the squeezer for all but the last rivet and instead of fighting to get a solid rivet installed there (and possibly bending the edge of the aileron) I just popped a blind in and moved on. I used an MK-319 rivet instead of the the AD3 rivet that is called out. The blind rivet is weaker than the solid, but in this case the material will fail long before either rivet would, so it doesn't matter.


I used an extension on the unibit to drill through the wing walk ribs. I then sanded the holes down with a dremel to clean up the hole.



I ran all the conduit through the wings. I just enlarged the standard hole that you create in the plans. Somewhere Van's aircraft has posted that enlarging this hole to 3/4" is acceptable to run their conduit through the wings. I still went with their conduit even though the corrugated edges make it difficult to pull through the holes and I've heard it's difficult to pull wires through, for three reasons:
1. It sretches, help during flexing of the wings.
2. It's made of Nylon which has a temperature range of -40 to 185 degrees F.
3. It's cheap.
 
 


A look at the finished ailerons.


Wing bottom skins hung in place.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment