Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Ordered the Finishing Kit

Finally the day has come to order the last kit of the RV-10. Of course I still need an engine, prop, hoses and such forward of the firewall, an interior, avionics....but this is the last part of the kit! So last week I emailed my request form into Van's and made it official. The kit should ship out in January.

I requested a kit packing list from Van's that contains a list of all the parts and pieces that come with the finishing kit. I needed this because I knew there were some parts I wanted to replace with nicer stuff. For instance I've heard the wheels and tires aren't the best and should be replaced among a few other things. I started digging into what I wanted to remove from the shipment when I thought I'd ask Ed what he was planning on removing from his shipment. I've mentioned Ed a few times in the blog. He's the guy up north that is at the same point in the build as I am and we tend to share notes. Anyway, he already generated a pretty comprehensive list of what to remove from the shipment and what to replace it with and I am shamelessly going to copy.

What I removed from my Finish Kit:
2 U 15X6.0-6 MAIN TIRE 6 PLY RV-10  (Replace with Desser Retreads)
2 U 15X6.0-6IT INNER TUBE MAIN RV-10  (Replace with Aero Classic Leakguards from Desser) 
1 U 5:00X5-6 6 PLY TIRE MAIN GEAR  (Replace with Desser Retreads)
1 U CLEVELAND 199-104A 6" RV-10 WHEELS SETS  (Replace with Matco Wheel & Brake Kit)
1 U 5:00X5-6IT TUBE FOR 5:005-6  (Replace with Aero Classic Leakguards from Desser)
1 U NW501.25 NOSE WHEEL W/BEARINGS  (Replace with Matco Wheel)
1 RUBBER DOOR SEALX25' VA-198  DOOR SEAL  (Replace with McMaster Seal)
2 C-1016 DOOR STRUT GAS STRUT FOR RV-10  (Replace with heavy duty strut)
1 U-1009 AXLE  (Replace with Matco Nose Wheel Axle)
2 WD-1023-PC GAS STRUT BRACKET  (Replace with PlaneAround bracket to clear McMaster seal)
1 U-1019-L LWR.INTERSECT.FAIRING  (Replace intersection fairings with RVBits)
1 U-1019-R LWR.INTERSECT.FAIRING  (Replace intersection fairings with RVBits)
1 U-1020-L UPR.INTERSECT.FAIRING  (Replace intersection fairings with RVBits)
1 U-1020-R UPR.INTERSECT.FAIRING  (Replace intersection fairings with RVBits)

2 comments:

  1. I think we're tied! Those evenings when I'm feeling lazy, I have to remind myself that I don't want to fall behind. Thanks for the motivation!

    And, to be fair, I stole most of this list from posts to the Matronics RV10 list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that's one way to get motivated! ....I just checked your site and I think your still ahead of me. : )

      Delete