Tue 18th - 1.5hrs - Started aileron actuation section, cut and drilled long pushrods
Wed 19th - 1.25hrs - Drilled RH lower skins
Fri 21st - 2.5hrs - "Deburr Party" deburred all lower wing skins
Sat 22nd - 5.5hrs - worked on pitot mount, worked on pushrods
Sun 23rd - 6.5hrs - Primed parts, installed RH Fuel Tank, riveted pitot mount, worked on push rods
Total time for this post = 17.25hrs
My Dynon stuff arrived! It was like Christmas in June.
I received the heated/AoA pitot tube, it's controller box, the autopilot roll servo, mounting bracket and wiring kit. Everything look to be of very high quality. Really nice pieces of equipment....good job Dynon!
The servo just has 7" or so of wire coming from it, nothing has a connector installed. So my first order of business, with my new avionic,s was to install the connector on the servo and on one end of the wire bundle. The wire bundle will run down the conduit I installed in the wing and therefore one end of the wires need to remain without a connector installed to fit through the conduit. Having never installed a connector and it's pins before I recruited Mike, a coworker and friend of mine who happens to be an electrical engineer dealing with avionics integration everyday, for help. So I walked down the hall to Mike's office for a lesson on pinning connectors. Turns out it's really easy and we finished the job on our lunch break.
No problems installing the connectors to the servo.
Drilled out the RH lower skins.
Installed the RH Fuel Tank.
Friday night the wife and I had a "Deburr Party", yep it's what you think it is, you stand around and deburr wing skins into the wee hours of the night. Of course the party can't get started until the baby is sleeping. Grab the monitor and sneak out to the shop, she'll never know we were gone : ). We finished all of the lower skins in a single night!
I got a lot of the aileron actuation section complete as well. I cut and primed the push/pull rods and attached the ends, which I etched and alodined, looks nice.
I needed to mount the pitot controller near the pitot tube so I made a mounting plate to attach to the rib. It rivets into place using four 470AD4 rivets which minimizes the size of the holes cut into the rib. The controller then screws into place using four #6 screws into the nutplates. There are two angles attached to the back to stiffen the plate and provide attachment points for Adel clamps to hold the pitot and AoA lines and wiring. The power wires run from the bottom of the controller and are held in place by an Adel clamp mounted on a spacer to the hole on the lower side of the mount (LH side of the picture below). More pics of the installation will come later when I get everything finished up.
Here is the single picture I have of the install more pics will follow when I finish up the wiring and such...kinda looks like a mess right now.
Wow! This is absloutely hardcore! I run an RV owners blog and was dropping by with some tips on saving fuel costs ( http://greenminimalism.com/2013/04/19/3-tips-for-how-to-save-money-on-gas/ ), but this is just something else!ReplyDelete